As I see it, gratitude is one of the greatest antidotes to Pride. I grew up thinking that humility was the cure, but now I see it as more of the opposite of Pride. When I'm feeling stubborn or jealous about something, it isn't really feasible to just "be humble". How would you just be humble anyway? It's not really something that you can do, but it's something that you are. Humility is the result of changing one's mind and heart.
Gratitude for what I do have leads me to focus on what is imortant instead of wishing I had some other circumstances. I see how the Lord has blessed me and I realize that I don't really need that thing that I was dying for or have that certain experience to make me happy. The Lord has provided me with all of my needs and my life is very comfortable on the whole. I have a very loving and amazingly supportive wife, a beautiful and healthy son, and many opportunities to grow in the gospel, education, and career. The world is mine.


4 Comments:
Here, here. You seem to have a way of putting things into perpective. I need to be more like that. It's easy to get caught up in wanting more out of life, or more things in life.
But wouldn't life end up being so much easier on us if we were only able to ALWAYS keep an eternal perspective? None of that "I want this," or "I need that" would matter anymore.
I'll be checking your posts every day to give myself a good daily reminder of where my perspective is. Thanks, Glenn.
This is Kim, by the way. Since you don't have a link to my page, you may not have known who "The Woman" was. Sorry if I confused you! :)
How do you find time to maintain 4 blogs on top of everything else?!? Thanks for the perspective and I love to see the pics of Max. What a cute kid!
It's been a while and I don't remember how to add the links to my blog, if you (any of you) could offer me a hand, I'm dying to connect to you guys!
Post a Comment
<< Home